DIABETES IN CHILDREN AND ADOLESCENT -Jayakumar
Publish Year 2013
Size 6.25" X 9.5"
Cover Type Paper Back
With CD/DVD No
Weight (Grams) 415
The prevalence of diabetes mellitus is rapidly increasing throughout the world in general and the Indian subcontinent, in particular, because of the lifestyle changes which have occurred. Even children have not been spared from this epidemic. Until about 10–15 years ago, any diabetes occurring in a child was considered as insulin dependent type 1 diabetes and managed as such with insulin therapy, without any special investigations for finding out its etiology. The situation has changed a lot during the last 2 decades, and at present, the diabetes seen in children and adolescents can be of any category: type 1, type 2, maturity onset diabetes of the young, genetically determined, neonatal diabetes, etc. The incidence of type 1 diabetes mellitus per se is also on the rise. Hence, the pediatricians and physicians involved in the management of diabetes in children would like to have a book, which mainly focuses on this disease entity.
The needs of the practising physicians were taken into consideration when the content of the book was prepared. Starting from the definition and classification of diabetes in children, all types of diabetes seen in children are discussed in detail. The management approach to these clinical entities is given at length in each chapter.
The book has been prepared with the intention of giving the practising physicians all the information he or she requires for the day-to-day management of diabetes in children.
• Provides an up-to-date knowledge on the different types of diabetes seen in children and adolescents with special emphasis on type 1 diabetes
• Reviews currently available evidence for the management of different types of diabetes in children
• Elaborates on the various issues involved in the day-to-day management of diabetes in children and adolescents including nutrition and exercise
• Explores the various treatment options including the use of insulin pumps and current status of pancreas and islet transplantation
• Covers specific issues like management of diabetes at various stages of childhood as well as the psychosocial aspects of the condition
• Targets Pediatricians and Physicians involved in managing childhood diabetes
• Includes easy-to-follow flow charts and tables helpful for the busy practitioners.